Historic villa in Lucca, Tuscany
0m²park, garden and olive grove
0spacious rooms (5 bedrooms)
Historic (antique) villa in Lucca, Tuscany
- Historic villa, Manor country house approx. 600m² (residential) area
- 10 spacious rooms with lots of natural light, 4 bathrooms
- Suitable for housing, private collection, studio or museum
- Approx. 4300m² park, garden and olive grove with maximum privacy
- Former stopover place of pilgrimage route “via Francigena”
- Year of construction ca.1700, restored, last renovation 2002/3
- Classic terracotta roof support as noble villas Lucca
- Authentic tile floors, Carrara marble 'art deco' stairwell
- Voluminous chestnut beamed ceiling on the top floor
- Famous previous owners such as Bonaparte and Carlo del Prete
- Guest apartment with private entrance
- Large 'cantina' with garage for 1-2 cars
- Swimming pool 8.5m x 5m with lots of privacy
- Col de sac named after the Villa
- Luxurious, quiet and safe living environment
- 5km west of the center of Lucca
- Excellent accessibility
- Shops at 2 min. walking distance
- Sea and airport Pisa at 30 min.
- Skiing in Abetone in 1+ hours
Location & history
This historic manor from the early 18th century is uniquely located in a high-level rural small residential area in San Macario in Piano, on the western outskirts of Lucca. The villa is easily accessible and is located at the end of a small cul de sac, named after the villa. This location offers a luxurious, quiet and safe residence .
The local shops are a 2 minutes walk away and the famous “le Mura”, the wall around the center of Lucca, is only 5 km distance. Lucca is also easily reached by bike, along the river Serchio, in 15 - 20 minutes.
The Mediterranean Sea (Viareggio) and Pisa Airport are less than 30 minutes driving from the villa. It takes approx. 50 minutes to drive to Florence.
Abetone, the local ski resort, is just over an hour's drive away.
The villa was built around 1700 on the ancient ruins of the "ospedale" (tavern) belonging to the "Chiesa ed ospedale San Jacopo alle Bertraie", an overnight stay from the 11th century along the famous pilgrimage route "Via Francigena" to Rome.
Former important owners of the villa were among others Paolina Bonaparte (Napoleon's sister) and the famous pioneer pilot Carlo del Prete.
Description of the building
The villa has an area of approx. 600m², divided over three floors of 200m² each, built in a slightly sloping landscape, so that 2 floors are visible at the front and 3 floors at the rear side.
The 'bel-etage' has very bright rooms due to a ceiling height of 3.60m and the high windows and has a large entrance hall with fresco; on one side there are 2 spacious living rooms and on the other side a large dining room with an antique fireplace in "Rococo style" from around 1720 and adjoining a very spacious kitchen with exit to the terrace/balcony. This whole area is situated around a marble corridor with an original 1920s' bathroom, a big "Art Deco style" stairwell entirely in "Carrara" marble and corridors over three floors.
The entire 2nd floor has formidable authentic chestnut beams supporting the terracotta tiles of the roof. Around the corridor there are 4 bed- and/or study rooms, 2 bathrooms and a huge billiard room which is also used as dressing room.
On the ground floor is the guest apartment (approx. 80m²) with its own entrance in the former housekeeping day care , with a spacious living room with mantel fireplace, the original kitchen with authentic cooking fire place and bread (pizza) oven, a bedroom and bathroom.
All 5 (mantle) fireplaces/chimneys of the villa are in working order.
Adjacent is the "cantina" located, with (wine) cellar, storage space, heating room and garage for 1-2 cars.
Next to the building is an antique medieval building of approx. 22m², with 2 storage rooms for wood and garden tools. This small building is part of the early medieval wall along the road connecting the 17th century latticework main gate with the 2nd gate at the rear entrance, the guest house and backyard.
During the last extensive renovation in 2002/2003, the stylistic elements of the previous complete restoration from the early 1900s were preserved as much as possible. The roof with enormous chestnut beams has been restored on the outside and insulated with reinforced concrete all around (fixation) and insulation material, after which the antique tiles have been replaced, all approx. 40 chestnut windows have been restored.
The central heating (town gas) has been replaced by a modern Viessmann HR installation and a new terrace/balcony has been built in the style of the villa exclusively using antique materials. All floors in 1900's Italian "graniglia" and terracotta, which are different in each room, have been preserved.
On the outside, the symmetrical window layout and the terracotta gutter supports are characteristic of the 'Lucchese' noble villas.
Park, garden and swimming pool
Outside there is a park-like garden of approx. 4300m², with large old trees at the front near the 17th century 'principal' entrance gate, including a majestic 'Lebanon', clipped trees/bushes and hedges, rose beds, cypress trees and a modest olive grove. On the left side of the villa is the very private swimming pool with wooden terrace that fits into the sloping landscape.
At the rear side is a large garden with two palms and trees and the authentic 2nd entrance gate with an old (Ladies) cypress. There are parking options for 1 to 2 cars at both entrance gates.
The whole area is bordered on 3 sides to a rural environment, then by a hedge partition and the ancient wall, giving maximum privacy.
Use, housing and maintenance
This country house offers countless possibilities for use: from private residence, 2 to about 10 people, to use as a home practice, as a studio, gallery or museum and excellent suitable for a private art collection.
Due to its own entrance, the separate apartment can also be used for a longer period of time for guests, rental or airbnb.
The current residents have been living in the villa 20 years, with regular visitors and a 'full house' with (grand) children in the summer.
The villa is in excellent condition; The required painting work is kept up to date and other maintenance work is carried out regularly.
The maintenance of the house and garden are cared for by the capable hands of a local family with whom a very trusted relationship has been built over the years.